Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Tribute To Art Ingraham - Please leave your thoughts.

I recently learned that Arthur Ingraham (always affectionately and privately referred to as "Hawk" by many students because he was sharp and you could never get anything by him!) died in 2007 in Lubbock Texas. I hope Salisbury classmates from '69 and '70 will leave their thoughts here by clicking on the "post comments" at the bottom of this blog. To me Arthur epitomized what was so challenging about boarding school. Up at the crack of dawn. Remember Art running the student store before breakfast at 6:30 am? I never had him as a teacher as I think he was mostly a 9th grade history teacher. But as a soccer coach he was nothing short of dynamic and demanding. And he got results from our 68-69 team (7-2-2). I was given my first job in 1974 when Art was headmaster of Hewlett School. I walked into his office with a B.A. in history. He said, "Can you teach science?" I was really surprised but stammered, "uh, sure, why not?" I think he just wanted me to work for him which is flattering. I will always be grateful to him for that favor! I also remember a number of classmates being enamored of his lovely wife, Betsey! Can anyone remember his car? It was always parked next to Bill Steglitz's wild Barracuda outside Payson. In any event, please leave your thoughts and memories of Arthur here. Posted by Joe Hill

1 comment:

  1. Tom Lincoln wrote : believe that Hawk's car was a blue Ford Falcon. I remember it well as some of the ski team would get leg cramps sitting in the back seat when returning from practice. (Probably lack of hydration and bananas but who would know that back then.)

    Very sorry to hear about his passing as he was an inspiring ski and soccer coach.

    TL

    ReplyDelete